Monday, January 16, 2012

Distressed Skin

Generally, I have extremely sensitive skin. Add to that a harsh, windy winter and my skin becomes so irritated it hurts- really bad, all day. This applies to my entire body, but it recently became a serious problem with my face.

About 2 years ago Aveda was recommended to me. I tried a few of their products, found some of them worthwhile, but was allergic to some, as well. I had been using Clinique's dramatically different moisturizing lotion my entire life (okay, preteen years on), but around this time found that it really wasn't moisturizing my skin well enough.
Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion
 
On the Aveda kick, I decided to try out their Botanical Kinetics skin line. I bought the liter bottles of their cleanser and moisturizer because it was a better deal in the long run (I'm such a bargain hound).
Aveda Botanical Kinetics Moisturizer
At first, the Aveda cleanser and moisturizer were okay. It should have been a sign that my sister had to quit using them nearly immediately, as it irritated her skin. After about a year I decided I didn't really like it that much, but it was an expensive set and I'd just finish out the bottles and then find something better. Recently my husband picked up a Neutrogena face wash and set it out for himself. Well, I began using it, too, and realized, Aveda vs. Neutrogena... Neutrogena won.


At this point I realized that it was time to cut my losses and just dispose of the Aveda; after two years, I still had 1/4 to 1/3 of a bottle left of the cleanser and moisturizer, but it was time to move on.

Naturally, the first place I went for help was the local Sephora. A very helpful representative sent me home with a sample of Philosophy Hope in a Jar for dry skin. At first this moisturizer felt extremely thick and heavy- a little overkill. My skin felt awesomely hydrated all day, but the heaviness was a major turn-off. After about a week, I decided to look for something else.
Philosophy Hope in a Jar for dry skin

The next product I tried was Murad Redness Therapy, Correcting Therapy moisturizer. After using Philosophy, the consistency of this moisturizer was more comparable I water. Almost immediately my skin would shrink up and start yelling, "I'm thirsty!!" After about 4 or 5 days I decided this moisturizer was not a keeper.

Murad Redness Therapy, Correcting Moisurizer
I returned to Sephora at this point for something else, bumped into the same representative who remembered me :) and asked how the Hope in a Jar sample worked out. I explained my concerns and she recommended the Oil Free Hope in a Jar, volunteering another sample. After a few days, I decided I liked the oil free version, as far as hydration was concerned, but my skin honestly looked better when using the Hope in a Jar for dry skin. I seriously considered purchasing a full sized version at this point, but the price, $38 for 2 oz., motivated me to keep looking.


Next, I tried the Rare Minerals moisturizer by Bare Escentuals. Now, not only was this moisturizer not moisturizing enough, but I was actually allergic to it- and I wear Bare Escentuals makeup on a daily basis!! My face got itchy and peeled. Not cool.
Rare Minerals Facial Moisturizer by Bare Escentuals

I quickly returned to the Murad moisturizer because I was out of my free samples. Pathetic, I know. Out of good ideas, I gave the Murad a few more days to convince me it was the right choice. It didn't happen. It was as if I wasn't actually applying a moisturizer at all.

I broke down, decided to gather all the change in the couch cushions, and returned to Sephora. As good fortune would have it, they just so happened to have a promotional special, plugging two Philosophy products, When Hope is not Enough and your choice of a few select others, for $55 (roughly a $72 value, depending on what you picked). I grabbed a Hope in a Jar for oily skin and then investigated When Hope is not Enough (just in case they ran out of the moisturizer in the meantime- I wasn't going to push my luck). As describe by Sephora's website, When Hope is not Enough is "a lightweight, oil-free antioxidant serum with toning, firming, and antiwrinkle properties." This is just the quick blurb about it, there are actually much more convincing attributes to this serum lengthily described on Sephora's web page.
Philosophy When Hope is not Enough
Very happy, and getting an awesome deal, I headed home. After a few days, you'll hear more about When Hope is not Enough, but for now all I can is that I haven't experienced any irritation after use! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment