Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Just Desserts: Watergate Cupcakes

Since I was young, one of my very favorite deserts has always been Watergate Salad. Nothing tops a rich, pistachio flavor! A friend introduced me to the best combination ever, Watergate Salad and cupcakes, after there were leftovers from a wedding reception. It took months to get a hold of the recipe, mostly because the cupcakes were referred to as Pistachio Cupcakes at the time. Finally, my sister tracked down a recipe and altered it to fit our taste, which obviously makes it better than ever!

Finished product, conserving frosting before I knew there was plenty.
I promise, very tasty! 


Ingredients you'll need:

Cupcakes:

1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup olive oil
3 eggs
1 pkg (3 1/2 oz) instant pistachio pudding mix
1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple- drain and retain juice
** 7 up ** enough to reach 1 cup liquid when combined with pineapple juice

Icing:

2 pkgs Dream Whip (dry whipped topping mix, 3 oz. each)
1 1/2 cups milk
1 (3 1/2 oz) instant pistachio pudding mix

Preheat the oven 350 degrees. Mix the cake mix, oil, eggs, soda + pineapple juice, and pistachio pudding mix together. Beat 5 minutes at medium speed. Then fold in the strained crushed pineapple. 

Batter.

Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full, bake for 30 to 35 minutes, rotating the pan half-way through. Let cool thoroughly before icing.

Before baking.

After baking.

While cupcakes are baking, combine Dream Whips, milk, and pistachio pudding mix, whipping until thick enough to spread (think a whipped icing). Pipe icing on to cupcakes.
Note: I was afraid that I wasn't going to have enough icing, so I added an extra packet of Dream Whip and about 1/3 cup milk. I actually ended up with more than enough icing, next time I'm probably going to push my luck with the original proportions. But it still tasted great this way, if you feel you need more icing!

Finished icing

Piping gun

Keep cupcakes refrigerated (it's better for the cupcakes, and for whatever reason, they taste much better cold!).

The finished product, before I realized I had an overabundance of icing!
Watergate Cupcakes are definitely top contenders for the best homemade cupcake ever. Next to the Magnolia Bakery cupcakes (yes, that's coming to a blog near you soon...).

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment