Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Things You Should Know: Gym Etiquette, Peeves

As part of my Things You Should Know series, I thought there were a few things that everyone should know about how to act and what not to do/always do at the gym. It doesn't matter if it's a private membership gym, one-time visit, etc., keep these tips in mind.



1. Keep your noise level down.
While this is always a good tip to abide by, it was atrociously brought to my attention last week while I was on the treadmill at my gym. With my headphones in, I kept overhearing a loud hacking. It would calm down, then pick up again. Concerned, I removed an earbud and glanced around. The guy at the end of the row was identified as the culprit. He would alternate walking a few seconds with jogging a few seconds. This man was in no shape or form athletic in the first place. And as he began to jog, he would start huffing and puffing- not just deep lung sounds, vocal "Haaaaaahhh!!!!"'s and everything. He didn't limit himself to deep guttural exclamations, but was yelling, "Oh my God! Ohhhh!! It's sooo hard!! Ahhhh!! It hurts!! Oh my God!" and on and on. I glanced around and noticed everyone around awkwardly focusing on their television screens, trying not to pay attention to him. While it was hilarious, it really was distracting and rude.

This also applies to whistlers, hummers, singers, and so on. Basically, if someone else can hear you, don't do it. If you insist on exercising your vocal chords while working out, I would recommend purchasing a treadmill for your home.


2. Wear appropriate attire.
I was already planning on writing this edition to the series while at work this afternoon, but after my visit to the gym this evening, I knew I had to. Honestly, I have no problem with gym clothing that is too tight, as long as it covers everything that should be covered- including butt cracks, cleavage, bras, and underwear (watch those G-strings, ick!). But, something I didn't think was necessary to say is wear tennis shoes. Common sense, right?

Do you see what I see?
Yes, please wear tennis shoes. And Socks. At the very least, wear your shoes while on the treadmill, whatever type of shoes those might be. I will give this girl about 1/4 credit, though; before and after working out, she took a gym wipe and wiped down the treadmill belt. Granted, she didn't rotate it and wipe the other half, but, you know, she tried. And, no, she wasn't blonde. Oh, and in case the picture from my cell phone isn't clear enough, that is her flip flop resting on the rail, she is walking barefoot. Ick.

Also, as I mentioned before, I don't want to see your butt crack at all. It is very dirty and gross, and it doesn't motivate me one bit. In fact, it makes me want to leave and never come back. Oddly, it still pales in comparison to not wearing shoes.

Lastly in regards to attire, don't wear non-athletic clothing. You can get a cheap pair of gym shorts or sweat pants at The Dollar Store. Don't wear your jeans. Also [again to shoes], it's best to maintain a pair of athletic tennis shoes in addition to casual tennis shoes (if this is something you can afford). Your feet need better support when working out, they're absorbing a lot of impact. Also, casual shoes can get pretty dirty, and you don't want to track stuff in to the gym and all over the machinery.

3. Don't stare, it's rude
Yes, I break this rule occasionally (note the above picture), but don't stare at other people at the gym. Most people are at the least semi-self conscious, especially in form fitting clothes and little-to-no makeup. Unless you're going to follow up your staring with, "Excuse me, but your deltoids rock!" it is not okay. And even that is pushing it.

Staring automatically makes me think that either I have B.O., my pants have inexplicably split down the middle, there's a stain on my shirt that I haven't noticed, or something so horrible that it actually trumps all of these explanations occurring at the same time. So, just don't do it. Glance quickly, then look away hoping I didn't notice. [PS, I assume everyone else shares my sentiment]



4. Wipe down your equipment
I really don't have anything snarky to say about this. Gyms will provide either a towel and a sanitary solution, or even a dispenser of disposable gym wipes; they are there for your protection. You don't want a Staph infection, do you? Ringworm? How about some hairy, stinky man's dripping sweat- you don't want that on you or your clothing, right? Well, no one wants your junk, either. This is why it is important to wipe down your equipment before and after you use it. Be sure to get the backrest and seat (and any other "leather" you touch), and the handy handles [who knows if the previous user washed his/her hands after he last used the bathroom?].

Random tips/peeves that don't warrant a numbered explanation:
  • If someone is wearing headphones, do not attempt to carry on a conversation with her. If you feel the need to tell her something, you must attain her attention before yabbing away. If she promptly replaces the earbuds, stop talking, your time is up.
  • If a floor fan is turned on and it looks like it could be pointed at someone, do not steal it and turn it to yourself. Not cool. Ask first.
  • Go to the gym clean, wear deodorant, avoid perfume (when you heat up, your perfume is amplified. Who knows how it will interact with your natural sweaty smell? and it could offend someone else). Don't go to the gym smelling like a bar, an ashtray, or a dirty dog. Please. 
  • If you use free weights, mats, medicine balls, etc., put them back where you found them. Or, if you notice they are not where they typically are/should be, then, if you use them, put them back where they are supposed to go. 
  • Girls [and some guys]: wash your face clean of makeup before working out. When you heat up, your pores open up, letting in all the crud in to your skin. Then, when you cool down, the pores contract and all that stuff is sealed in there.
  • Don't use a treadmill directly next to someone if there are others available. I hear this is a lot like men's rule for urinals. If there are other machines available, try to space yourself so that there is a machine between you and others- you know, if possible.
 How do you feel about this topic? Feel free to sound off in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment