Thursday, February 2, 2012

Operation Crochet a Scarf

My mom spent most of the time leading up to Christmas crocheting like crazy. Most females in my family are donning handmade scarfs this winter. I absolutely love my soft, blue, black, and white infinity scarf, but I realized that I really do need a scarf comprised of warm colors. So, I endeavored to crochet my first scarf!

Mind you, I have crocheted before. I don't think I've every actually finished something 100%, but I've known the basics since I was a child. After a quick crash course with my mom, I set down and began to crochet away.

The finished scarf, wrapped in to itself three times


I used the scarf my mom made me for reference, and I wrote down my pattern as I went along, but didn't start out knowing exactly what I was doing. As my mother warned, the first two rows were hell. I can't even remember how many times I had to start over. I even completely unraveled all I had done while starting my third row and started all over... this actually happened a few times. And the third row was extremely difficult, as well. But I charged through, and after the third row it was a piece of cake.

I used three different yarns. One was a dark blackish-brownish-maroonish color ("dark"). The second was a golden camel (light). The third was a thick fuzzy white with "hairs" (the picture doesn't do it justice and it's really hard to explain- there's not much to compare it to; "white"). I used a size N hook. Here is my pattern (I wrote it down as I went, but not in advance):

2 x sc dark
1 x sc white
2 x sc light
1 x sc dark
1 x sc light
1 x dc light
2 x sc white
1 x dc light
1 x sc light
1 x sc dark
2 x sc light
1 x sc white
1 x sc dark

The completed pattern

Essentially, I started a pattern, figured out at what point I was half way (by personal preference) and mirrored the pattern for the other half. I made my first, base chain by measuring against my mom's scarf to obtain the length I wanted. Once I got there, I wrapped it around to the beginning stitch and attached the chains as if I had reached the end of a row and was turning around to go the other way.

You'll notice that I started with 2 x sc dark, one was my base chain, then I chained over on top of that. When I ended, I ended with 1 x sc dark; I was actually going to do 2 x sc, but when I got that second chain going, I realized it was too thick and didn't visibly mirror, so I unraveled it and just finished up!


Now, I made a mistake. I guess when I was joining the end of the chain to the beginning of the chain (to make it an infinity scarf) the chain got turned, or flipped. A couple of times. I didn't realize it at the time. I thought it was flipping weird while I was crocheting, but I thought it was just because the chain is quite long, causing it to flip under its own weight [I don't know, it sounded logical in my head]. No. I got completely done before realizing the issue. But all is okay!! Low and behold, when I went to fold the scarf in on itself to wrap it around my neck (3 times) it just happen so happened to lay completely flat; whereas, if I hadn't made this mistake, it would naturally cause a kink or buckling of the scarf. So, it actually all works out!


It's twisted: notice, straight on the left, and like 3 twists on the right. But it works!
It was honestly an awesome experience and surprisingly addicting! I look forward to my next crocheting project!!



No comments:

Post a Comment